Wednesday, 19 February 2014

Treat time

Today was my first real test.  I was invited out for breakfast to celebrate a friends birthday at the local Dome restaurant.  They have the most amazing cakes, breakfasts and shakes.  I hadn't planned on being strict with myself, I considered this to be a treat, a free pass to order whatever took my fancy, a special outing.  We all need to treat ourselves once in a while.  I think I might just call those few marshmallows I just ate a treat too.  Whoops. 

Funnily enough the only thing that really appealed to me on the menu was the fruit salad with yoghurt, honey and toasted muesli.  Everything else just looked too heavy and the fruit salad looked so bright and colourful.  I didn't deny myself a shake, except what I felt like was a Chai Chiller which in comparison with the other shakes was a lot healthier and technically not really a shake, more of a ice crush.  I did cop a little flak ordering the fruit salad but OhhEmmGee it was fantastic and I felt great and full afterwards, not bloated and yuck like you can do after eating a big fry up of a breakfast.  A little treat that was not quite so naughty as I had expected.  Score.

Whilst I'm scoring, today marks my fourth consecutive day of tracking, and not just tracking, tracking everything, including those marshmallows above and coming within my required kilojoules.  Fourth consecutive day of making wiser choices and successfully fighting that nighttime binge mode.  Even though I have whinged and moaned about my inability to control the snacking in the past, I really think the combination of a scare with the number on the scales and the blog post a few days ago I'm actually committed to change.  It feels good knowing that I made it through day one and I'm now on day four and my resistance and will power are still holding fast.  Surely that deserves a pat on the back.

Sunday we are celebrating my big girl's 8th birthday with a pool party with her school friends.  I will be serving some healthy options, but predominantly it will be all that yummy party food that eight year old girls enjoy, hmmmmmm fairy bread.  I plan to give myself a free pass on this day. I most definitely have to have a slice of her birthday cake.  Which for the first time ever I am paying someone else to make as her vision was far beyond my capabilities.  Looking forward to that one.  I am swimming as part of a four man team the day before in a virtual rottnest swim challenge, will cover five kilometres individually myself.  Think I'll be pretty safe with one slice of cake.  Would hate to undo all my work for the week the day before weigh in, however I'm not going to stress on that though and let it ruin the afternoon for me.  It's not everyday your baby turns eight.

Next week will bring with it a new set of challenges, I'm back to work after enjoying six weeks off and relishing the life of a stay at home mum, as well as the luxury of being able to go to the gym during the morning sessions.  With my girls schedules after school this year, I have lost my two scheduled night gym sessions from previous months.  I know that is not the be all and end all but for me it was a lot easier to ensure I get the work outs done when I go to the gym.  It's kind of like a date or an appointment I keep with myself, at home I don't tend to have the same drive or focus.  I know I'll work something out, eventually.  I just don't like the limbo stage I'm in at the moment.  I'm going from six weeks of having all the time in the world, to now being extremely time poor and on a seriously strict schedule.  I am pretty certain it is going to come as quite a rude shock to myself and my girls. 

I know I can resist the temptation of the work morning teas, the social club chocolate and chip bowls and all those other things that pop up in the workplace.  I know we will eventually find our grove with our routine.  I know I will get the exercise in, what that exercise will be, I don't know for sure yet, but I will do it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget