Sunday, 29 September 2013

In the beginning...a quick history lesson on me

In about October 2011 I came to the realisation that I had spent the previous nine months, since separating from my husband staring down at the bottom of an ice-cream tub nearly every single night.  I may have joined the gym shortly after separating from my husband, searching for the new me, but I was yet to find my focus.  Sadly it took nine months and quite a few extra kilos before I got that light bulb moment.  It was a photo that did it, I saw myself for the first time as what I really was, overweight, unhappy and unhealthy.  Not the role model that I wanted to be for my girls.  Shortly after that I got myself a personal trainer and joined Weight Watchers to get the eating side of things under control.  A good personal trainer is worth their weight in gold and I have been blessed to work with a great bunch of trainers.

Once that light went off, I set myself some goals, firstly I wanted to lose weight.  I was pushing 90+ kilograms at my heaviest and I wanted to get down to my healthy weight range.  After some serious learning curves and what some would see as simple common sense I managed to control my intake and successfully reached this goal in February 2012.  Although my road may still be bumpy I have maintained my weight within this range ever since.  

Another goal of mine was to run 5 kilometres non stop.  This was a huge goal for me as I have never been a runner.  Truth be known, I despised running with a passion for most of my life.  With help from my personal trainer and sheer determination I started to run a little bit more each time.  Within 12 months I went from a person that was unable to run to the end of the road without stopping to not only reaching my goal of running 5km but completely smashing it by completing my first half marathon and running it non stop.  Absolutely exceeding all of my own expectations.

I will not lie, there has been bumps, there will continue to be bumps along my path, however through my gym, my trainers and the knowledge I have gained from so many amazing sources, I have gained so much.  Not only have I lost the weight, I am fitter than I have ever been in my life.  I am doing things that I would have never dreamed possible.  I'm more confident.  I'm running, even if we still continue to have a love-hate relationship.  I'm lifting weights.  I'm enjoying life and I am happy.  I see this has my biggest success so far, finding happiness with me and who I am.

But my story doesn't end here.  I still have so much more to learn and share.  I hope to inspire others by sharing my story.  Laugh at my mistakes along the way.  This is my story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget